the origin of the name bookish apothecary






If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into, if you want to know the truth. -J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

Several names were considered before I landed on bookish apothecary for the shop. I tossed around names that would pay homage to my location. Gainesville is a university town and home of the Gators. I'm not much into the sports ball, but I can get behind learning and knowledge. Gator Soap evokes images of washing alligators and I didn't want to encourage that activity.

Making soap is science in action: saponification. This process is what had me intrigued enough to learn how to make soap in the first place.

I'm equal parts avid reader and Netflix binger. I like to watch documentaries or immerse myself in a book. I definitely lean to the nerd side and I like it.

I landed on bookish apothecary as a nod to my love of reading and knowledge. Useless facts reside in my head and probably take up too much space.  The name also draws inspiration from this awesome university town I find myself residing in.

Not really a crazy interesting story, but it is a question I get asked.











Comments